Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2012

One Word. Three Letters.

Sex.
Three letters. One word.
Sex.
So much meaning. Meaning that we, as humanity - worse, as organized humanity aka society - give it.
Sex.
It doesn't naturally spark the curiosity of children.
The actual act is not that interesting.
It's the secrecy.

When I was six I got into trouble for yelling "sex" in the gym during lunch. I wasn't allowed to go to recess. Instead, I sat against the gym wall to reflect on what I had done. I didn't reflect then, but I think I'm making up for it.
I yelled "sex" because kids had been whispering it. They said it was dirty word - worse than shit. I knew - abstractly - what sex was. I did not understand why it was bad. There was nothing in the mechanics that seemed particularly "dirty" in the 6 year-old sense of the word. I was convinced it was not actually a bad word, and to prove my point I yelled it as loud as I could, utterly certain that I would not be reprimanded.

I still don't think sex is dirty. The actual act of two people getting each other off isn't "dirty" (unless you're outside or have an aversion to cleaning). It IS sweaty, awkward, sticky, smells weird, and a slew of other uncomfortable adjectives.
We make sex dirty. We make it secret and forbidden.
Why?
In some form, we all have sex. We all have lewd thought & wet dreams; we all (or should) masturbate; at some point, we all have sex with another person. We know our parents had sex, the awkward couple with the ugly baby had sex, and (God forbid) even Ronald Reagan had sex. It happens. At some point we accidentally witness other people having sex, whether it be due to poor timing or an internet pop-up or a bad Google search. Point is, sex is everywhere. So why do we keep it hidden away? Why are we so restrictive about sex?
I want sex to be appropriate. I want it to be accepted as dinner conversation. I want it to be less important as a concept. I want sex to be elevator talk! Let's replace "What do you think of the weather?" with "How's your sex life?" Let's ask about preferred sex the same way we inquire about someone's favorite cuisine - spicy Cajun or rich French?
Yes, at first, we will blush - but, hell, you're already buying a blush called "Orgasm" at Sephora.

No comments:

Post a Comment