Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

How class affects feminist solidarity

I grew up working class, so I have a pretty good idea of how sexism and feminism work into the life of low-income, white girl growing up in a single parent household. I have no idea how it works for rich girls, or as they like to call themselves "financially secure." Due to this inability, I will give my observations and how these girls affect women like me.
First off, I call them girls, not women. I believe that women who have lived difficult lives in our capitalist society have gone through hardships that have transformed them into women. I see no evidence of this for rich girls.
I work. My mother works. My grandmother worked. We all work. We work and constantly work to reach some semblance of "financially secure." I live paycheck to paycheck. I am careful with my money. It makes you grow up. I don't understand girls who spend money on manicures, their hair, or expensive and revealing clothing. I don't understand.
I'm sure not all of these girls are so frivolous. I'm sure there are some out there who do not beg daddy for a new car or cable or an apartment because they can't just deal with living with other people. It gives them anxiety.
I'm gonna be real, moving into a dorm was the nicest I've ever lived. It was the first time I never worried about the electricity getting shut off. I didn't have to worry about gang activity, seedy drug deals, or someone slashing my tires for fun.
Excuse me as I just don't understand how living in such wonderful conditions is just too stressful for you. You're too worried about someone stealing your things so you don't feel safe. What's worse is that if you knew my socio-economic background, you probably would have blamed me for your misplaced items.
I don't understand.
Not all rich girls are spoiled. I was a scholarship student at a private Evangelical school. I saw rich girls. I was friends with a lot of rich girls. I met girls who legitimately grew into mature, independent women. I see fewer of these women in college. My scope is skewed of course to sorority life, so I will make the generalization that I have yet to meet a rich girl who grew up into an accomplished, deep, mature woman.
I see girls that are trying. And I love them for that. However, they have not grown up. They are still spoiled. They still don't understand why some of us don't have checkbooks because we can't afford them. They don't understand that I work so much because I have to pay for my dues, my tuition, for my life. It isn't resume fluff. It's out of necessity.
I can't spring break with you. I can't go on weekend Vegas trips. I can't.
So when you whine about how you just want to go to Vegas for a weekend and blow some money, I'm not empathetic. When you complain that people call you a spoiled bitch, I am not sorry for you. I've been called worse. You are not financially secure. Daddy paying for you does not make you financially secure in any adult sense of the word.
The day your electricity gets turned off in the middle of December, I'll start to care. When you live off of ramen noodles for 2 months because your family can't afford anything else, I'll start to care. When people talk about how great it is that you're so crafty but you don't dare tell them it's because you've spent half your life making other people's shit look nice, I'll begin to have empathy.
The day you use daddy's money for good, I won't call you a spoiled bitch. When I see you take financial responsibility, I won't call you a spoiled bitch.
When I was younger, I helped my mom clean people's houses so we could afford gas. We were hired by people like you. You thought it was charity to hire a single mom and her daughter. You thought it was charity to give me your old hand me downs. But you don't think it's humiliating. You don't think that there's a larger problem with society. You live in ignorance. Until you try to understand, I will start to give a shit about your bourgeoisie problems.
Until that day comes, I can't. I'm too busy trying to make myself financial secure to listen to you whine.

No comments:

Post a Comment