Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

I will not be silenced (TW rape)

I've had it. I'm officially really fucking pissed.
At you.
You know who you are.
You like to tell survivors and activists to censor themselves.
You say things like:
"When you say negative things about *organization/person* that reflects poorly on me because people connect me with you." 
"Why can't you just be polite? I'm not asking you to like them, but can't you just be supportive?"
"You're really not going to get anywhere being so angry."
"Individually, they're great people. Why can't you give them a break?"
"Well, they've only ever been nice to me. Maybe if you weren't so mean they'd be nicer to you."
Or any variation thereof.
First off, FUCK YOU.
Asking me to be NICE or to SUPPORT or to at the very least NOT SAY "NEGATIVE" THINGS about an organization that sheltered and supported and never kicked out my rapist is BULLSHIT.
My loud disapproval of organizations that support rape culture by being bystanders to rape and affiliating with rapists is NOT something that should be silenced. 
YOU should be silenced. 
YOU should reevaluate your relationships with people. 
YOU should ask yourself if you really want to be friends with a rapist. 
YOU should ask yourself if you want to be affiliated with an organization that implicitly condones sexual violence and misogyny.
YOU SHOULD BE QUIET.
not me. 
not the survivors. 
not the allies. 

The best way you can do good in the world is to not be friends with rapists or support organizations that foster rape culture. But if you can't do that, you can disaffiliate yourself from me (because chances are, I already don't associate with you).

No comments:

Post a Comment