Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

To People Against Booty Shorts, From Me

For context, here is what I am responding to: http://www.abstinence.net/our-blog/guest-commentary/to-young-women-from-a-young-man/

Yes, that is a link to an abstinence website. Yes, I am intentionally trying to piss myself off...obvi. #thesisprobs

Everyone that has a problem with "immodesty", are you really concerned about my ability to attract a man? I have this feeling that you aren't. Like, deep down, I really don't think that it's any of your business who I "attract." What if I don't want to "attract" a "man"? Here's some advice: look at your life, look at your choices. The fact that most of you feel the need to tell women* how to dress is absurd. Especially since my v-neck makes me slutty (there's a country song for you) therefore I shouldn't show cleavage. I'm pretty sure my v-neck doesn't "make" me anything since it is an inanimate object. I think you're obsession with my v-neck makes you construct an image of me in your head as slutty. That's right. My v-neck doesn't make me slutty, you make me slutty. Thanks for that. While we are on the topic of my "sluttiness" (I prefer sexual resume or experience, but I digress), what I do with my vagina (or mouth or hands or whatever the fuck I want) doesn't make me slutty. Again, that is a you problem. So stop making it a me problem. Or a woman problem. Let's face it, you are the one that wants me to a) want a (hetero) relationship, b) not have sex outside of marriage (too late bro, and don't get me started on second virginity), c) look like a fucking virginal princess (that sounds uncomfortable and I look horrible in a crew neck), and d) shut the fuck up (I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm pretty sure that's right). You should really let go of all these expectations on me and other female-identified people. If there are some vagina havers out there that are totally down with your ideology, good for them. Just don't try to get all the vagina havers to act a certain way. It's sexist. Love you!

*I struggled to decide how to identify "women" in this piece since modesty campaigns are constructed in a gender binary. So, I switched between using "women," "female-identified," and "vagina havers." The last one is slightly tongue-in-cheek and also anatomically accurate to describe the people that modesty campaigns target as being "too slutty." If you think/feel/believe/have evidence that any of these terms is problematic, please let me know through the comments. I'm not an expert and appreciate the learning moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment