Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Case for Not Having Male Friends

The last time I had multiple male friends I was five. And then I went to elementary school where I was immediately informed of the dangers of cooties. I never went back. The majority of my friends have been non-male identified ever since. There’s always been the occasional one guy friend, but that was not the norm.
Throughout high school and even into college there felt like there was a pressure to have a better gender balance (assuming that we live in a gender binary *vomit*) in my friend group. Like there is something wrong with associating almost exclusively with non-male identified people.
So here is my case for not having male-identified friends as a female-identified person.

1. It is mother fucking exhausting.
I’m not saying that all men are misogynists or sexist. I am saying that a good number of men are pretty blind to their male privilege and how it affects people who are not men. It’s tiring to call them out. It’s draining to be in the presence of all that privilege especially when we already live in a patriarchal world.

2. I hate explaining my experiences.
Like really hate it. Especially if someone then decides to argue with me about my experience. Here is some sample dialogue:
            Me: Ugh, this guy in class was totally mansplaining at me earlier about…
Man: Are you sure he was mansplaining? I think you’re taking this gender thing too far. Just because a man explains something doesn’t make it ‘mansplaining’
Me: *face palm*
The great thing about hanging out with women is that (most of the time) they understand my experiences and have had similar ones (at least when it comes to gender, that is definitely not true for other intersections of identity).

3. I really hate censoring myself.
Things I like to talk about include: vaginas, cramps, sexism, birth control, sex, my thesis, swear words,  etc. I also talk about these things from a very (and I mean very) female perspective. Because I hate explaining my experiences, I'd rather just avoid talking about certain things. It's shitty and I hate it. Also, when it comes to IUDs and how much I like the word “cunt,” I give very little fucks about a male POV. Mostly because I get the male POV about every fucking thing every fucking day because patriarchy. Sometimes, I just want to bask in the world according to women. And by sometimes I mean like 98% of the time.

4. Explaining my sexuality is also fucking exhausting, especially to men.
“What’s pan? Does that mean you have sex with everyone?” or my favorite response: “If you like girls too, does that mean we can have a threesome?” or this “But you’re straight for me, right?” Ok, so the last two are from men I’ve fucked, but it’s the same idea. Again this doesn’t apply to all men, but les-be-honest, a lot of straight men just don’t get the different flavors of sexual orientation. And when they try to they look at it in a very self-centered fashion. If she identifies as this, what does that mean for me? You know what bro, the entire fucking world does not revolve around you.
Also, if you, reader, are now like “But wait! If you have all these problems with male-identified people why do you still have sex with them?”
My response to that is: go read a fucking book. Maybe one that has to do with pansexuality. I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t always pick winners, so I have fucked my share of sexist assholes. But sometimes sexist assholes are pretty so…

5. I’m no one’s mother.
I can’t be the only woman who has had this problem where men you are close to are suddenly looking to you to take care of them. You’re a girl and you’re my friend so that means you’ll take care of me like my mom, right? No. No, it doesn’t. Fuck you.
Also, Taylor from my high school art class, just because I’m friendly to you and can knit does not mean I will knit you mother fucking slippers. Go to Target you lazy ass.


 There are probably more, but these are the ones that I can think of right now. 

5 comments:

  1. Awww. It's funny to think how not sexist you imagine yourself to be. You know, because patriarchy. You judge men's opinions, behaviors, experiences and attitudes against your (very) feminine perspective as though you are the norm and they, by default are judged by how unlike you they are. You're sort of the walking conservative sexist's idea of a feminist, the kind that is immeasurably suspicious of any man's perspective, be he misogynist, ally or feminist. You don't seem at all like a kind, good or fun person to be around, so I feel grateful, I suppose not to know you at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would just like to note that due to the power structures that exist in our society, it is quite impossible for a woman to ever be sexist. Unless we get to a point where women almost exclusively control the government, major corporations, wealth, power etc, men are not and will not ever be oppressed to the extent where they can begin to cry sexism. Prejudice can exist for or towards anyone, but sexism cannot. Men have too much privilege to be oppressed by any standards of the word.

      You say that she judges as if she is the norm and everyone else is judged by how different they are. Isn't that what men do daily? AND it's accepted because that's the privileged social norm.

      Also, it is often quite necessary to be suspicious of all men's perspectives because it is A LOT of work to sort through who is a knowledgable male activist, who is an "ally", and who is not worth time at all.


      You should also feel grateful you don't know her because she would not tolerate your existence in the real world.

      Delete
  2. This is how you start a conversation? This is humor and calling out sexist bullshit? no. This is actual sexism. This is actual bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment is bullshit. Please read the previous response describing male privilege, power, and the INABILITY for men to feel oppressed by sexism.

      Delete
  3. lol sexism toward men doesn't exist.
    And I am a conservative's worst nightmare, thanks for noticing ;)
    I'm glad I don't know you either. We totally would not get along.
    However, I would like your mailing address so that I can send you a fedora if you don't already own one. I hear every MRA needs one ;)

    ReplyDelete